Friday, November 6, 2009

A Kerslash Review

I found a new Kerslash review on Drunk Duck yesterday:

First things first...I don't read any manga. I have friends who are all about the stuff, but I haven't got into it at all.

Having said that. I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like KERSLASH. I really like the look of the comic. I suppose this is a comment on manga in general, but I enjoy the 'high energy' framing of the panels. Often I find the panel format adds very much to the energy and feel of the comic and this comic has got it right.

Art:
The art is fun and eye catching. I feel that the artist definitely has a good handle on artistic form. The main character has a "North American" look to me (if that is a look). She looks like a tween girl you might know at your highschool. Maybe the odd placement of her as a top ninja surrounded (at first) by all things Japanese is what caught my eye in the beginning, something new and different.

Story:
It's interesting how manga can add maybe 5 panels each update and still feel like you are reading a book. Imagine of you read a novel at that pace...it would be excruciatingly slow! At any rate, my only problem is that I sometimes found my self "falling out" of the story. I couldn't get into it deeply. I started off wanted to engross myself in the story but sometimes an odd twist, or an obvious plot event knocks me back to reality (sitting at my computer, reading a comic on Drunk Duck). The best stories engage you in a way that you forget your day to day activities. You can't help but read on and continue the story as though it is part of your world. Although this story has promise, I still haven't reached that 'lost myself int he comic' feel.

All in all an enjoyable first venture in to manga like comics. Thanks for the great strip!

Frank


I'm always surprised to find positive reviews for Kerslash. I'm still waiting for that one damning review that knocks me down a couple pegs.

No comments: